Kiavac Series, Part 1: Nine New Steps to Follow
Hamilton, OH – With the first case of Ebola now reported in the United States, Kaivac, developers of the No-Touch® and OmniFlex™ cleaning systems, will begin a series of safety tips designed specifically for those in the professional cleaning industry.
“As in the past with other . . . outbreaks [affecting public health], our industry will likely play a crucial role in conquering this one,” says Matt Morrison, Communications Manager for Kaivac. “But in order to accomplish this, the first step [we must take] is protecting our own health.”
Accordingly, Morrison says cleaning pros should implement the following steps when using and cleaning public restrooms:
- Wash your hands in hot, soapy water before using or cleaning the restroom; accept the fact that any surface you have touched before entering the restroom might have been contaminated.
- Avoid placing anything on the restroom counter or on the floor; should the counter or floor be contaminated, germs and bacteria potentially could be transferred from the surface to your hands when you pick up the items.
- When using a restroom stall, always grab toilet paper before touching the partition door handle…before and after use.
- Use a paper towel to turn manual faucets off and on.
- Before using a toilet or urinal, flush first; stand a couple of feet away from the fixture when it is being flushed to avoid any “spray” from the fixture.
- Use a toilet seat cover, or use toilet paper to create a makeshift toilet seat cover.
- If a restroom looks unusually soiled, look for another restroom to use; if cleaning an unusually soiled restroom, accept the fact that every surface may be contaminated, and take added precautions (wear gloves, wear goggles, avoid skin contact with soiled items or surfaces).
- In place of traditional cleaning methods, select what ISSA calls “spray-and-vac” cleaning systems to avoid direct contact with surfaces.
- Wash hands again after cleaning restrooms, and have paper towels at hand so you do not have to grab them from a dispenser.
Media Contact: Robert Kravitz, email@example.com, 773-525-3021