The Bar Keepers Friend Story
In 1882, an Indianapolis chemist noticed how clean and shiny his tarnished pot was after cooking rhubarb. Using an active ingredient that’s found in the plant he formulated a talcum-smooth cleanser and sold it to the city’s taverns. So pleased were his customers with how well it worked on bar fixtures, the product was dubbed the “Bar Keepers Friend.”
The same non-bleach formula that put a shine to the brass rails of taverns at the turn of the century is used in households today on stainless steel, porcelain and ceramic surfaces among many others.
Today, Bar Keepers Friend is still made in Indianapolis and is found at retailers across the United States and in many other countries.
Search the Internet using the words “Bar Keepers Friend”, “clean” and almost any surfaces such as “tile”, “stainless steel” or “solid surface counters” and find testimonials such as this posting from Emily at www.thriftyfun.com.
“Coffee stains on Corian® sinks can be removed fast and easy with a product called Bar Keeper's Friend. It's found in the cleaning aisle and is along the lines of a Comet® or Ajax® cleanser, but oh, so much better. It's my favorite household product.”
Watch this video to see how Bar Keepers Friend compares with other brands of cleanser:
How does BKF compare to other cleaning methods including vinegar? Watch this video to find out:
Bar Keepers Friend Uses
- Daily Cleaning — Use Bar Keepers Friend every day in kitchen and bath to keep surfaces clean and shiny. Its non-bleach formula removes tough stains, too.
- Removing Rust — Bar Keepers Friend removes rust better than other top-selling cleansers.
- Removing Lime — Bar Keepers Friend removes lime buildup and hard water stains better than other top-selling cleansers.
- Porcelain — Use Bar Keepers Friend every day to clean and shine porcelain surfaces. It’s also effective on tough hard water stains and rust.
- Stainless Steel — Bar Keepers Friend cleans and shines stainless steel. Other top-selling cleansers containing chlorine bleach are not recommended for stainless steel.
- Solid Surfaces — Bar Keepers Friend cleans nonporous solid surfaces such as Corian®.
- Chrome — Bar Keepers Friend removes hard water stains and makes chrome fixtures shine.
- Copper & Brass — Bar Keepers Friend removes tarnish and makes copper and brass shine. Do not use Bar Keepers Friend if the metal is lacquered.
- Fiberglass & Acrylic — Bar Keepers Friend cleans fiberglass and acrylic without scratching.
Tile & Grout — Use Bar Keepers Friend to clean porcelain and ceramic tile. BKF® also cleans light colored grout.
DO NOT USE BAR KEEPERS FRIEND ON:
Gold, silver, pewter, marble, lacquered metals, or anodized aluminum
5240 Walt Place
Indianapolis, IN 46254
General Inquiries, please call 1-800-433-5818
Kevin Patterson, VP Institutional Sales, 800-433-5818, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sales contact Lisa Neace, VP of Direct Sales, 317-264-2185, Lneace@barkeepersfriend.com
Tony Patterson, VP International Sales, 317-694-0868, email@example.com
For MSDS information, click here.
To send us a Customer Comment please click here and fill out the form.