Eco cleaning has taken the cleaning world by storm over the past 10 years. While awareness has increased through blogging and social sharing, eco cleaning has actually been around for a long time. While we may tend to think of natural products as something that’s new and maybe even a little bit hippie, our grandparents and the generations before them would have used them as a part of their every-day cleaning routines at home or in the office. With so much buzz about keeping it green, it can be difficult to know exactly what products to use. We’re going to dive into the nitty gritty of how to choose an eco cleaning supplier, but before we do, we need to address the bad stuff!
Avoid the nasties
While you may be accustomed to using the traditional cleaning products lining your laundry cupboard, you may be shocked to learn what’s really inside them. The ingredients can include:
- Petroleum solvents
- Antibacterials and disinfectants
- Butyl Glycol, Ethylene Glycol, Monobutyl
While these may seem like a bunch of complicated names, these chemicals can be harsh on the environment and even more detrimental to the health of your family or employees. They are absorbed through the skin or by inhalation, and can cause both short and long-term health issues, including irritation, asthma, bacterial issues, hormone problems, or worse. So it’s safe to say, traditional cleaning products should be avoided at all costs. Now that you’ve got the dirty on traditional cleaners, let’s turn our attention to the good stuff, and how you can choose the best eco products for your home or office cleaning.
Enjoy the benefits of eco cleaners
Green cleaners are a healthier option for both you and your family. They can also help improve the quality of your indoor air, helping prevent respiratory health issues. You’ll be able to sleep more peacefully at night knowing you’re doing your part for the environment and protecting your family’s health! Not only are they good for you, but they smell great too! Avoid the strong chemical stench that comes with traditional cleaning products by adopting eco cleaners that include natural-occurring ingredients like essential oils and lemon juice.
With so many benefits to be enjoyed, how do you go about choosing the right eco cleaners?
Here are 7 quick tips to choosing an eco cleaner.
- Always check the ingredient list, and steer clear of harsh chemicals like ammonia or bleach.
- Try integrating eco cleaners by using them on surfaces that you come into contact daily, like your kitchen bench, bathroom sink or dining table.
- Most multi-surface cleaners and laundry detergents come in highly concentrated forms. Add a bit of water to each bottle to make it last longer.
- Steer clear of scented cleaners! While they may smell good, they contain harsh chemicals like phthalates or butane that can be really harmful to your lungs. Instead, choose cleaners that have added essential oils or botanical extracts. This will keep your home smelling great while keeping it safe.
- If the product doesn’t have an ingredients list, put it back on the shelf! If a brand doesn’t want you to know what’s inside their products, then that’s cause for concern. Just as you should know what’s in the food you’re eating, you should understand the ingredients in the products you’re using to clean your home.
- Just because a brand claims their product is eco-friendly, doesn’t mean that it is. Oftentimes brands will use colours like green or blue to trick you into thinking their products are natural. Likewise, they can use labels like ‘eco-friendly,’ ‘all-natural,’ or ‘chemical free’ to make you think they are a better alternative. Don’t be fooled by these smart marketing tactics. Always read the ingredients on the bottle before you purchase, and do your research on a brand before you commit to using it.
- Use ingredients you have in the pantry! Products like baking soda, washing soda, borax, castile soap, lemon juice, white vinegar, essential oils can be used to make air freshener, glass cleaner, surface cleaner, and more. Do your own research to find out what ingredient combinations will make the right solutions for your needs.
The sooner you get started on your eco-cleaning journey, the better! Start by making small changes to your every-day cleaning habits, and within no time, you’ll be amazed at just how easy it is to use eco cleaners.